By Bernadette Kathryn, LMT, IHLC
Classic Bone Broth is extremely versatile and healing! While it may not look very appealing at first sight and perhaps not too sexy either, I believe that bone broth may very well be the missing link in our quest for a healthy body… skin, hair, nails, bones and joints!! That’s it — if you suffer from joint issues, this homemade bone broth could be your saving grace. It is full of all the minerals and collagen that our bodies crave and have lost due to our more ‘instant’ society.
Classic Bone Broth
Basics: Roast your bones — chicken, beef, pork or veal
- Add vegetables and herbs to your pot:
- bay leaves
- Caramelize your vegetables either in the oven or in the pot for a bit before adding your roasted bones
- De-glaze your pot with white wine — the amount depends on your pot and amount of bones
- Allow the wine to reduce and the alcohol to burn off, you will be left with the lovely flavor
- Add your roasted bones and cover with COLD WATER
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer — skim the impurities (scum) off the top periodically
- NEVER let the pot boil again
- Keep the broth at a moderate simmer for 24-48 hours, add 2T apple cider vinegar to help pull the minerals out of the bones
- Add more cold water as needed to not let the pot cook down too far
- Although, you do need the broth to reduce to concentrate the flavor, minerals and gelatin.
After you have completed the cooking process, strain twice to remove all the impurities and ensure a clear broth.
We like, use and recommend
US Wellness Meats for superior protein products.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.