[Tweet “Coconut Mango Rice – I made this to go with Jerk Marinated Fish #LivingFitLifestyle”]
Coconut Mango Rice Pilaf
Every month or so one of my girl-friends host a GirlFriend Dinner and we all get together for a little pot-luck fun and lots of laughter. I made this side dish to go with Jerk Marinated Fish (that recipe to come)….
When you are eating a hot dish such as a jerk marinade, you need a cooling dish to counter the heat. I like coconut rice with a sweet element like the mango, I dressed with with a lime vinaigrette ~ it was just the right amount of sweet, tang and crunch to go with the fish. I have to confess ~ I used white rice here because I had run out of brown rice. The white rice looks really pretty with the colors and is OK once in a while. Ideally, you would want to eat the whole rice which includes the bran husk.
- 1 Cup Rice
- 1 Cup lite coconut milk
- 1 Cup water
- pinch of salt
- mango, cubed
- small red pepper
- 2 scallions
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 2 limes, juice and zest
- 1 tsp honey
- Cook the rice according to package directions, utilizing coconut milk for half of the liquid required.
- When the rice is cooked, let it stand in the pot for 10 minutes before fluffing.
- Lift the lid and fluff the rice with a fork and put into a bowl to cool
- Chop the mango and red pepper into small cubes
- Chop the scallions into small rounds
- Toss the rice with the produce and shredded coconut
- Mix the lime juice with a small amount of EVOO, zest and touch of honey
- Toss with the rice and chill