Corn Shrimp Crepes made with GF flour and organic corn meal served with luscious shrimp for an elegant Sunday brunch. I was inspired by a recipe I found in one of the many cookbooks in my collection — Cooking for Isaiah by Sylvana Nardone.
We were originally thinking of Shrimp & Grits — since I grew up in the South and that is an all time favorite. I don’t eat grits regularly like I used to — mom would make the most glorious spread for weekend meals that included grits, eggs, bacon, sausage, gravy, fruit and pastries…. wonder why I might want to think differently these days?
- 1 LB easy peel Shrimp
- ½ Cup GF flour
- ⅓ Cup organic cornmeal - medium grind
- ½ t celtic salt
- 2 T organic coconut oil
- 1 Cup + 2T organic milk
- 2 large eggs - room temperature
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, and salt.
- Stir to combine
- Add, 1T melted coconut oil, 1 Cup of milk and 2 eggs
- Stir to combine, cover and let stand at least 20 minutes or overnight
- Heat a 10" non-stick pan, using a paper towel, lightly grease with coconut oil.
- Pour ⅓ Cup of batter into the pan, tilting to spread evenly and cook for approximately 1 minute on each side. Remove the crepe from the pan and stack on a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter, save until ready to use.
- Cut your shrimp in half lengthwise (optional) and submerge in your shrimp stock for approximately 2 minutes or until pink -- being careful not to overcook.
- Place ½ cup of cooked shrimp in a crepe and fold or wrap like a burrito.
- Serve with a little of your favorite sauce -- I like béchamel -- gluten free (of course)
- or a Roasted Garlic Ricotta sauce -- yum.
- Garnish with chopped chives or crumbled bacon.
First, I peel the shrimp and use the peel to make a shrimp stock which I will later use to poach my shrimp. Then, I put my peeled shrimp in a brine of salt water for 1-2 hours before cooking. During which time, I work on the crepes.
The beauty of crepes is that you can freeze them and then have an elegant wrapper for your Sunday Brunch when you are ready, this makes your weekend so much more enjoyable and relaxing. Just go to the freezer, pull out a pre-made package of your crepes and begin to make whatever filling you are into for that day!
Viola — how wonderful to know that you have a freezer full of pre-made meal options that you absolutely know are healthy and delicious.