[Tweet “Pure comfort food here and if you are able to control your portion #LivingFitLifestyle”]
By Bernadette Kathryn, LMT, IHLC
What could be better?
Pure comfort food here and if you are able to control your portion, it can be sanctioned too! Chicken sausage with mushrooms, onions, and a roasted garlic ricotta sauce that I found in the Miraval Spa book ~ Conscious Cuisine by Chef Neff. The roasted garlic sauce also includes roasted shallots, white wine, classic bone broth, low fat ricotta cheese and fresh herbs. This sauce is an amazing addition to any healthy kitchen repertoire, well worth the time and effort if you love food and elegant meals. I have used it in our light lasagna, quick pasta dishes, and our own Salisbury Steak ~ it’s absolutely luxurious and no one will ever know it’s a spa recipe!
Just like most of my cooking, when I go to the effort to make this fantastic sauce, I make it it bulk and freeze the extra in 8 oz serving sizes that I vacuum seal for the best preservation. Once you thaw the sauce for your future culinary projects, you can bring it back to glory by giving it a whirl with your immersion blender or mini chopper to emulsify it again, it will be good as new and ready for dinner in no time!
To make this fabulous meal ~
- I browned some spicy chicken sausage, drained the fat off and set the sausage aside
- Chopped a large sweet onion, Vidalia or similar and sautéed and set aside
- Sautéed a bunch of baby kale and set aside
- Chopped a bunch of Cremini mushrooms and added the sausage and onion back to the pan with the kale
- Chopped a hand full of Sun Dried Tomatoes and added that to the pan
- Added a cup of the Roasted Garlic Ricotta Sauce and mixed it all up with 8 oz of brown rice pasta
- Viola ~ we have dinner for 6-8 adults depending on how you are portioning your meals
- Super delicious, very comforting and elegant enough for a dinner party with a nice bottle of crisp white wine
- 3 Head of Roasted Garlic
- 4 Whole Roasted Shallots
- 1 Cup White Wine
- 1 QT Classic Bone Broth
- 1 Cup Low-fat Ricotta Cheese
- Basil & Thyme - fresh
- s/p to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350•
- Cut your garlic heads in half, drizzle w/ EVOO, s/p, wrap in foil
- Cut you shallots in half, drizzle with EVOO, s/p, wrap in foil
- Roast in the oven 25-30 minutes until soft and golden
- Remove the garlic from it's paper, take the shallots from the outer wrapping
- Add to a pot with 1 Cup white wine and reduce over medium heat to ½
- Add the Classic Bone Broth and reduce to ½ again
- Put mixture into a high powered blender and puree until smooth, add the ricotta cheese and blend until smooth and well mixed
- Return to the pan and continue to reduce to desired consistency
- Add the fresh herbs and taste
- Adjust seasoning according to taste
We like, use and recommend
US Wellness Meats for superior protein products.
This sounds tasty – If I left out the chicken sausage and subbed in veggie broth, I could do this as a vegetarian entree.