With all this hot weather lately, I totally understand why cold soup came to be! I couldn’t imagine turning on the stove and cooking anything… too hot!
So, I decided to make Gazpacho and there are so many recipes out there — I have tried a few varieties. Many have bread blended up into them and lots of oil. I understand you actually need the oil to cut the acidity of the tomatoes, peppers, lemon, lime, vinegar — this can be a very acidic soup. However, I am presenting this particular recipe because it (like most of my recipes) can be adapted to personal taste. I am currently cooking for a friend and they specifically requested all meals be fat free — physicians orders. And, they like spicy — so that is what we have here, Spicy Gazpacho Soup that is also fat free. The option of adding a plain fat free yogurt is indicated in this recipe, I am sure as a cooling agent for the spice.
You can personalize this to your tastes by skipping the jalapeño if you prefer and adding some EVOO to cut the acidity — or just use the plain yogurt, it’s very good!
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes
- 1 long English cucumber
- ½ medium red onion
- ½ red bell pepper
- ½ yellow bell pepper
- 1 large celery rib
- 2 fresh jalapeño peppers
- 2 Cups tomato juice
- 3T fresh lime juice
- 2T sherry vinegar
- s/p to taste
- non-fat plain yogurt - optional
- Cut the tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, peppers, celery and jalapeño peppers into chunks and pulse in batches in a food processor until finely chopped -- or use a sharp knife.
- In a large bowl or covered container combine the chopped vegetables wiith the tomato juice, lime juice, vinegar and s/p. Stir to mix thoroughly
- Cover and refrigerate until well chilled - 2-8 hrs
- Serve ice cold with a dollop of yogurt if desired.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.