downloadable PDF – Vegetable and Sausage Frittata
A delight at breakfast time, these mini vegetable and sausage frittatas are the ultimate, healthy grab-n-go morning snack or perfect for brunch with the addition of a salad.
With the goodness of zucchini, peppers and onions; all set off with the comforting flavor of Italian sausage in fluffy egg whites. These are the best way to get your day off and running.
This is such a great idea that will be equally wonderful with any filling you choose. Another favorite of mine is spinach, artichoke and apple or mango chicken sausage!
I have also used asparagus, broccoli, mushroom, potatoes (not necessarily together) — you are limited only by your imagination and personal taste.
It’s a simple project:
- Preheat your oven, I like 325° for this recipe, you may have to experiment with this depending on your oven.
- Prepare your vegetables, whatever suits your taste. I like to roast or sauté my vegetables before adding to the eggs to enhance the flavor.
- Prepare your eggs and cheese. I like to use Organic Egg Whites and add a few whole eggs to lower the fat and cholesterol while keeping the feel of the frittata authentic. I use 2 containers of egg-whites, 6 whole pastured eggs plus 2T organic ricotta cheese.
- Prepare your pan: I recommend a non-stick spray to ensure that you are able to remove these little gems without a hassle. I use coconut oil spray and then divide the sausage and vegetable equally between all of the muffin cups; it usually works out to about 1/4 cup of filling per frittata. This makes for a hearty frittata. Organic Coconut Oil Spray
- When you have it all together, put the pans in the oven for 20-25 minutes. I like mine gently cooked, not too brown — you can obviously adjust this to your own taste.
I make 2 dozen at a time, they keep in the refrigerator for at least a week which makes getting ready for my day much easier in the morning. It is such a blessing to have these little frittatas available when I am in a rush to get out the front door at 6:00 AM and they satisfy my morning hunger for hours.