I love chocolate and this Flourless Chocolate Cake is the perfect recipe for me. I am gluten sensitive and cannot eat wheat flour, but I can eat a flourless cake! Let’s face it, all desserts are not created equal. The oooey gooey desserts that a lot of us really love are just not on our Healthy Living Plan, at least not the way we remember them. They have just too many unhealthy calories, not worth the physical cost, at least not to me. Don’t get me wrong — I love sweets — in fact, there is a lot of evidence that sugar is now considered a drug, addictive and damaging to our bodies. Sugar creates is believed to create inflammation in our bodies, inflammation that will cause joint disease and possibly other diseases that can be debilitating.
It is imperative that I, we, really commit to limiting or eliminating our sugar consumption to serve our better health goals. We (I am talking to myself too) need to accept the fact that — sugar is physically damaging to our bodies, our joints, our brains and our waistlines. If we are really working to create a healthy environment internally, we need to seriously limit or eliminate sugar. I have discussed this subject with several holistic physicians and they all seem to agree that honey, coconut sugar, stevia and/or xylitol are the best alternatives if and when we want a little sweet. More importantly is to cut back, make our portions smaller and enjoy fresh fruit in season with our treats.
That is what I am striving for here — a compromise — some of the fun of chocolate familiarity, scaled way back and embellished with delicious fresh fruit. I hope if you like chocolate, you will try this little gem — one of my all time favorites.
- 4 oz dark organic chocolate
- 1 stick organic whole butter
- 3 large organic eggs
- ¾ cup organic coconut sugar
- ½ cup organic unsweetened cocoa
- non-stick cooking spray
- FRESH FRUIT:
- variety of fresh organic fruit
- choose the freshest available
- organic dark chocolate shavings
- - preheat the oven to 350•
- - melt butter & chocolate over a double boiler
- - whip whole organic eggs & sugar until blended
- - mix chocolate mixture with egg mixture
- - mix in the unsweetened cocoa
- - spoon mixture into mold of 24 small muffin pan
- - bake until done -- approximately 10-12 minutes
- - shave organic dark chocolate onto very cold plate
- - top with one piece of chocolate cake
- - arrange fruit around the cake and cream
- - sprinkle with organic chocolate shaving