Poached Eggs, scrambled eggs, omelets, frittatas, over easy eggs, hard boiled eggs, egg salad, deviled eggs ~ you name is and I probably like it for eggs. I grew up eating eggs for breakfast with sausage, bacon, cheese grits and butter toast ~ not exactly on the Living Fit Lifestyle plan. So, we learn to adapt ~ this is where the “less is more” concept really hits home.
Since I love eggs and have an affinity for a savory breakfast, I decided to play with the concept of a Eggs Benedict to fit our sanctioned meal plan and created this Portabello Poached Egg Stack!
- I am using a grilled portabello mushroom here instead of an english muffin
- although a whole grain english muffin 1/2 would be just fine if you want to do that.
- I sautéed baby spinach in a little bit of grass-fed butter with some sweet visalia onions until just wilted.
- Grilled a portabello mushroom after removing the gills, brushed with EVOO and s/p
- Stacked the spinach and onion on the bottom
- Grilled Mushroom w/ a thin slice of organic sharp cheddar cheese, optional
- Added ~ hot spicy tomato salsa
- Topped with a single poached egg
This is one of those excellent examples where you can adjust the ingredients to fit your specific tastes and vegetable availability. You could add some meat to this dish if you choose, Canadian Bacon is a good option because it is low in fat, turkey bacon is also good. Just be mindful of your salt intake with those two items.
- I used the mushroom instead of an english muffin
- I used the spinach and onion to satisfy my need for vegetables
- I then used the salsa instead of hollanidaise sauce