Italian sausage sandwiched between layers of gluten free pasta and the freshest organic veggies. Reducing the ‘ow’ and increasing the ‘wow’.
Growing up with an Italian mother in the south, we had plenty of opportunities to eat and enjoy Lasagna in many different varieties. Lasagna is a wonderfully homey casserole, one-pot dish that is easy to make and will easily serve an army if needed, just add a salad and you have dinner!
I began with the Eat Clean lasagna recipe for my inspiration and came up with a very luxurious lasagna without all of the fat and carbohydrates. I like to make individual lasagnas in mini bread pans and use only one noodle per lasagna, which is 1/3 of a ‘normal’ serving. I supercharge my lasagna by adding lots of vegetables and herbs to give it additional flavor and a nutritional boost from the added vegetables!
However, if you are trying to watch your girlish figure and keep the unnecessary calories and carbohydrates in check, a traditional lasagna may not be the way to go. A leaner, lighter, less carb version was what I was after.
I found inspiration in a book by Tosca Reno — The Eat Clean Diet. You will notice that I do not give you specific quantities, because I always make a large batch (or almost everything) and make individual lasagnas in mini loaf pans so that they are already serving size specific. I work until my pans are full. I do this so that I can freeze for the future. I love to make extra bolognese to freeze as well as the lasagna, it is so helpful to know that I have a stock of healthy food items available when life gets a little crazy and I need some help in the kitchen.
- Homemade Bolognese Sauce (recipe coming - stay tuned!)
- GF - Brown Rice Lasagna noodles
- Large Sweet Onions
- Organic Carrots
- Organic Celery
- Organic Mushrooms
- Organic Zucchini
- Organic Spinach
- Organic Red Peppers
- Organic Parsley
- Organic Oregano
- Organic Basil
- Ricotta Cheese
- Goat Cheese, softened
- Parmesan Cheese
- Pastured Egg
- Preheat the oven to 350•
- Make Bolognese Sauce
- Cook GF noodles according to package -- or -- what I do is soak them in boiling water for half the time indicated on the package, they will continue to cook in the oven and that way you are guaranteed an al dente noodle when the lasagna is cooked.
- Roast all of your vegetables, cool & pulse chop in food processor
- Mix your ricotta cheese, goat cheese, and egg
- Add -- herbs to the cheese mixture with nutmeg
- Begin the Assembly
- *** I only use 1 noodle per serving, cut in half and bake individual servings in small loaf pans
- put a little sauce on the bottom of the pan
- add ½ noodle
- layer more sauce, vegetables, cheese, sauce, noodle, and repeat
- top with grated parmesan cheese
- bake for 45 minutes covered
- uncover and continue to bake for 15 minutes
We like, use and recommend
US Wellness Meats for superior protein products.