Your Challenge Today:
Meal planning for the Living Fit Lifestyle!
Plans are nothing;
planning is everything.
Planning your game meals does require some thought for a healthy outcome. It is our goal that we enjoy eating fabulous food and learn to think of it as normal part of our healthy lives ~ not a diet ~ this is NOT a DIET, it’s a way of life!!
Having said that — this is an ideal plate with 50% vegetables, 25% protein and the balance made up of healthy fats and optional grains/fruit.
Plan ‘A’ participants will want 3 meals with this type of arrangement and 2 meals with 1/2 of this to make up your 5 meals a day!
Plan ‘B’ participants strive to create 5 full meals with this arrangement ~ this is what I suggest for the guys in the game!
It is important to think about how and when you eat for this program to work into a successful way of life.
I have a strange schedule, getting up at 4:30 in the morning to begin work at 6:00 AM and generally finish work around 8:00PM with some down time in the middle of the day.
I like to organize myself like this:
- Meal 1 — 5:15AM
- Meal 2 — 8:30AM
- Meal 3 — 11:30AM
- Meal 4 — 2:30PM
- Meal 5 — 5:00PM
I suggest that you look at the reality of your life and come up with a similar plan that will work for your schedule and lifestyle. The objective is to eat regular meals with protein, vegetables (carbs) and healthy fats so that your blood sugar is stable and you will eliminate the need for snacking. Make friends with water, good old fashioned H2O as your main thirst quencher … and herbal tea for a change of pace with coffee and green or black tea on a limited basis 1-2 daily max.
Goals for the game:
- Eat real food, avoid packaged foods as much as humanly possible
- Eliminate refined foods all together – eating whole grains, un-refined sweeteners if necessary
- Eat often and keep your blood sugar stable – eliminate the need for snacks
The most important things here to remember are:
- eat fresh
- load up on vegetables
- control your fat portion
- eat lean protein
- stay flexible with your approach
Meal #1 – Breakfast
- WG Blueberry muffin, 1T cream cheese, pear
- WG Waffle, 1T peanut butter, maple syrup & 1/2 cup fresh berries
- Ricotta cheese pancake & fresh berry compote
- Quiche w/ broccoli & cheddar & sliced tomato side salad
- Egg whites, with a yolk and vegetable of choice
- Portabello mushroom, w spinach and egg
- Broccoli & onion with a whole egg omelet
- Poached egg w/ asparagus
- Low fat or full fat yogurt w/ 1 Cup of fruit and 8 chopped nuts
- Chicken sausage w/ egg white and whole grain wrap
- Roasted Banana Muffin w/ baked apple
Meal #2 – Mid Morning
- Mozzarella, tomato & arugula sandwich w/ spinach & basil pesto
- Plain Greek Yogurt sweetened w/ honey, fresh chopped fruit & granola topping
- Swiss Cheese & tomato toasted on WW
- Smoked Salmon & Egg white omelet w/ scallions, dill & sliced tomato
- 1/2 cup skim milk and 1/4 cup granola
- 1/2 cup yogurt w/ 1/2 cup fruit and nuts
- 1 piece ww toast, 1 T peanut butter, sliced apple
- 1 apple w/ 1oz cheese
- Cucumber & tomato salad w/ feta cheese
- Broccoli & Cheddar Frittata w/ side salad
Meal #3 – Lunch
- Hamburger w/ avocado, tomato & side salad
- Chicken sliders w/ braised cabbage, vegetable & brown rice salad
- Turkey Bacon, lettuce & tomato sandwich w/ puree vegetable soup
- Grilled Fish w/ red pepper sauce, sautéed spinach & onions
- Grilled chicken or fish, salad w/ avocado & salsa
- Slice of meatloaf w/ cup of vegetable soup
- Turkey or chicken sandwich ww bread, arugula & tomato / cup of soup
- Chicken lasagna with vegetables – 1 piece of wg pasta
- Vegetarian Chili w/ cheddar cheese & corn bread
- Chicken Cacciatore w/ brown rice and roasted cauliflower
Meal #4 – Mid Afternoon
- Turkey WG wrap w/ slice cheese, arugula, red pepper, carrot & cucumber
- Chicken meatball sub w/ tomato & vegetable sauce on WG bread
- Ground Lamb stuffed cabbage w/ tomato & onion sauce & brown rice vegetable pilaf
- Chicken & Shrimp Gumbo
- Cup of pureed vegetable soup w/ 1/2 sandwich
- Egg salad w/ cucumbers
- Tuna salad w/ lettuce wraps
- Turkey with cut vegetables of choice
- Boiled egg w/ toast & cheese
Meal #5 – Dinner
- Entree salad w/ grilled shrimp, chicken or fish
- Sliced Beef w/ vegetable stir fry
- Beef tenderloin w/ mushrooms & broccoli
- Pork loin w/ sweet potato, zucchini, mushroom & pepper pave
- Meatballs w/ tomato sauce & vegetable noodles
- Shrimp stir fry with cabbage, peppers, onions, mushrooms
- Sautéed fish w/ spinach, onions & escarole
- Chicken burger w/ vegetable salad & soup
- Green Curry Chicken w/ roasted broccoli
- Shrimp Pad Thai – our version!
- Garlic Chicken w/ blanched broccoli