I love shrimp and Pad Thai — however, eating out is not always as satisfying as I hope it will be when I go out or order in. Pad Thai can be a very comforting dish with a lot of extra calories that I don’t want or need.
So, I decided to figure out a way to have a leaner, fresher version full of delicious vegetables, tangy sauce and brown rice noodles. An excellent alternative to the traditional — it includes all the flavor, fun and power packs it with extra vegetables so we can all stay on point with our healthy living program.
You can personalize this recipe and cook it with any protein you prefer — or just utilize the recipe to create your own Vegetarian version. Add more vegetables and perhaps use portabello mushrooms for that extra meaty flavor bite, it will be wonderful any way you go!
You can also make this a healthy Paleo version by using carrots and spaghetti squash instead of rice noodles — it is very versatile — use your imagination and enjoy.
- 1 lb fresh shrimp, peeled & deveined (save your peel for nutritious shrimp stock)
- 4 oz brown rice noodles, fettuccine noodles or larger
- 2 limes, zest and juice
- 2T tamari sauce
- 2T sriracha sauce
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 whole zucchini, julienne outer portion to seeds
- 1 Cup snow peas, thinly sliced
- 4 large Napa Cabbage leaves, chiffonade
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, julienne sliced
- ¼ cup cashews chopped
- mix all liquids in a pot and bring to a simmer & reduce slightly
- prepare all vegetables, mise en place -- get ready to stir fry
- soak your noodles in boiling water for 8-10 minutes, until soft - not mushy
- saute your vegetables a little, keep crisp
- add shrimp to warm liquid for 1 minute
- add the noodles for 1 minute
- then add the vegetables, turn off heat and stir
- serve on a large platter, top with cashews