[Tweet “Cue the Coconut Chocolate Candies #LivingFitLifestyle”]
How did we ever survive the sugar coma of our youth? How can we ask our kids to not enjoy candy the way we did? It can be tough to match our current ideals with the realities of today? This is where we need to be creative, roll up our sleeves and make a better option for our loved ones. Ya see, I am not against having some fun and some goodies along the way. I grew up eating a LOT of candy, major sweet tooth ~ luckily I didn’t have cavities as a result but, I did (and do) have to wrestle with the (sugar) demon from time to time.
My thought is — if I make it myself, I know exactly what is in it and I can enjoy the pleasure of the treat whole heartedly! It may look like a daunting task, difficult and completely unnecessary, considering the fact that you can purchase any kind of candy imaginable at most corner stores.
So, why bother to make it? Well …
- Because it’s FUN
- A great project for the family
- It’s super easy and quick
- Way better than anything I could purchase
- Technically ‘sanctioned’ if you only have one a day!
So, here we go ~ Cue the Coconut Chocolate Candies!
- ½ Cup Organic Coconut Oil - melted
- ¼ Cup Organic Coconut Manna
- 1-1/2 Cup Organic Coconut Flakes
- ¼ Cup Organic Raw Honey
- 1t Organic Almond Extract
- ½ Cup Organic Almonds - chopped
- ½ Cup Organic Chocolate - melted
- Prepare a mini-muffin pan (lined with paper - if you prefer)
- Melt the Coconut Oil, Coconut Manna, Raw Honey over low flame
- Add the Almond Extract and shredded coconut flakes, mix well
- Chop the almonds and divide between the 24 segments of the muffin pan
- Divide the coconut mixture into the pan and put into the freezer, flat
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler on simmer until just melted
- Carefully add a small amount of chocolate to cover the coconut mixture
- Return to the freezer for 20-30 minutes
- Remove from freezer and ENJOY!