OK, I know what you are thinking … how could bacon jam possibly be on the sanctioned list? Well, if it is turkey bacon, that’s on the list. And if maple syrup is used instead of sugar to create this crazy recipe — it’s still on the list!
The other very important thing to keep in mind is that this is a condiment — not the main event! It is designed to be used as a compliment to your meat and vegetable dishes. It is as amazing as it sounds, if you like bacon. Just a little bit goes a long way and no food plan is going to be successful if it feels like a diet ~ right?
This is what it looks life BEFORE it has been pureed — puree to your desired consistency. We used this jam as a garnish for caramelized onion tartlets for a dinner party appetizer, great combination!
- 1 lb. smoked bacon, turkey (is sanctioned -- pork works well too)
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 4 large cloves or garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup strong coffee
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1T sriracha sauce
- 1t cayenne
- 1t dry mustard
- s/p to taste
- Chop the bacon into small pieces and cook over med heat to render off the fat
- Take the bacon out, set on paper towel to drain and set aside until later
- Pour off the bacon fat and add the chopped onion cook until tender, translucent
- Add the chopped garlic and cook another few minutes
- Add the rest of the ingredients and the bacon back into the pan, raise the temp a little to reduce the liquid and continue cooking until almost dry
- Allow to cool and then add to the food processor and puree to desired consistency
We like, use and recommend
US Wellness Meats for superior protein products.