Your Weekly Challenge:
Review, Revise, Renew
Review your goals twice every day
toRe be focused on achieving them.
The secret to accomplishing what matters most to you is committing your goals to writing, review the list often and revise your strategy as you move along. Evaluating your target is essential for several reasons…
- Writing your goals will force you to clarify what you want. Imagine setting out on a trip without a map or particular destination in mind. How do you pack? Which route do you take? How do you know when you have arrived? Instead, you start by picking a destination. The same is true for goals and aspirations for your life. Writing your goals forces you to select something specific and decide what you want which will clarify what you need to make it happen. Take your time and practice writing your goals in the SMARTER GOALS system, be very specific and measurable.
- When you write your goals down, it will motivate you to take action. Writing your goals down is only the beginning of achieving your goals. Committing to your intentions is important, and it is not enough. You must take action on your goals; you have to review your path often to ensure that you are going in the best direction. I have found that writing down goals and reviewing them provokes me to take the next most crucial action. And, the writing and reviewing process helps to identify when a change is needed and adjustment in the plans.
- Reviewing your goals often also provides a filter for other opportunities. The longer you work on your Living Fit Lifestyle goals, the more obstacles will arise that could potentially derail your plans. Lifestyle habits are some of the most challenging to change, and well-meaning friends and family can quickly become distractions that pull you off course. The best antidote to distractions is to maintain a list of written goals that you review daily and revise as needed to ensure your daily success. It is possible and preferable to have a plan to help you stay on track when socializing with your friends and family that are not involved in a Living Fit Lifestyle. You can stay on purpose and be successful with a healthy lifestyle.
- Reviewing your goals will help you overcome resistance. Every meaningful intention, dream, or purpose encounters opposition, primarily when the goals are centered around changing essential lifestyle habits that you have had for years. From the moment you set a lifestyle goal, you will begin to feel the resistance. The way to overcome this resistance to change is to focus on the goal—focus on what you want, focus on the benefits that you will enjoy by succeeding and visualize your success!
- Reviewing your goals will enable you to see—and celebrate—your progress. Change can be hard, and it is particularly challenging when you don’t perceive progress. Written goals that are like mile-markers on a highway; they enable you to see how far you have come and how far you need to go. Written goals also provide an opportunity for celebration when you attain them!