Your Weekly Challenge:
Be focused on achieving …. review, revise and renew your commitment!
By Bernadette Kathryn, LMT, IHLC
“Review your goals twice every day
in order to be focused on achieving them”
~ Les Brown
The secret to accomplishing what matters most to you is committing your goals to writing, review the list often and revise your strategy as you move along. This is important for several reasons.
- Writing your goals will force you to clarify what you want. Imagine setting out on a trip without a map or particular destination in mind. How do you pack? Which route do you take? How do you know when you have arrived? Instead, you start by picking a destination. The same is true for goals and aspirations for your life. Writing your goals down forces you to select something specific and decide what you want which will clarify what you need to make it happen. Take your time and practice writing your goals in the SMARTER GOALS system, be very specific and measurable.
- When your write your goals down, it will motivate you to take action. Writing your goals down is only the beginning to achieving your goals. Committing to your intentions is important, and it is not enough. You must take action on your goals, you have to review your path often to ensure that you are going in the best direction. I have found that writing down goals and reviewing them regularly provokes me to take the next most important action. And, the writing and reviewing process helps to identify when an change needs to be made, and adjustment in the plans.
- Reviewing your goals often also provides a filter for other opportunities. The longer you work on your Living Fit Lifestyle goals, the more obstacles will arise that could potentially derail your plans. Lifestyle habits are some of the most challenging to change and well meaning friends and family can quickly become distractions that pull you off course. The best antidote to distractions is to maintain a list of written goals that you review daily and revise as needed to ensure your daily success. It is possible and preferable to have a plan to help you stay on track when socializing with your friends and family that are not involved in a Living Fit Lifestyle. You can stay on purpose and be successful with a healthy lifestyle.
- Reviewing your goals daily will help you overcome resistance. Every meaningful intention, dream, or goal encounters resistance, especially when the goals is centered around changing basic lifestyle habits that you have had for years. From the moment you set a lifestyle goal, you will begin to feel the resistance. The way to overcome this resistance to change is to focus on the goal—focus on what you want, focus on the benefits that you will enjoy by succeeding and visualize your success!
- Reviewing your goals daily will enable you to see—and celebrate—your progress. Change can be hard and it is particularly challenging when you aren’t seeing progress. Written goals that are reviewed often are like mile-markers on a highway, they enable you to see how far you have come and how far you need to go. Written goals also provide an opportunity for celebration when you attain them!
How are you doing with your Living Fit Lifestyle Goals?
Review your goals twice every day #LivingFitLifestyle Click To Tweet
my fitness goal is changing for the better. i have had the opportunity to ride a horse, which is great exercise, and it doesn’t hurt me. i am constantly working on my diet. i know it will eventually become better but, i don’t want it to become an additional stress. i am finding other alternative ways of dealing with pain issues that are helpful and i am learning to make time each day for my new practices.